Friday, March 30, 2012

The 306 Greatest Books #103 - Anne of Green Gables

The next up on my reading of the 306 greatest books is Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery. This book can be found on the BBC Book List.



This was one of the books that my daughter and I have been reading together. I have had this book for a little while and have been hesitant to read it because of it's length but we had just finished Little Women, so I figured this wouldn't be so bad. Well, I didn't really like this book. I hated the main character, Anne, for most of the book, and the secondary characters didn't really do it for me either. I felt that even when one of them died, I didn't feel too much for them. The problems were in the way this book was written. It was written about a little red-headed girl who couldn't shut up. And that is how it felt, you just wanted her to shut up for most of the book. As she progressed and got older through the book it got a bit better but I feel that the morals of the story were wrong in many instances (you shouldn't cry for people that go away or die because that is against your religion and other similar morals). It was an OK book in my opinion but nowhere near any of the greats that I have read on this list.

No comments: