Thursday, July 3, 2008

100 Greatest Books #73 - Tom Jones

Note - This review was originally published on my other site "The Geology P.A.G.E." but due to the content I have moved it here and backdated the post.

Since I usually update my website with the review of books that I have read and I once did it here (look to when I started my blog) I figured I would do it here again. My review now is of the 73rd book I have read on my quest to read the 100 greatest books (Hence the blog post title) - Tom Jones by Henry Fielding


Although it is a rather long book (my copy was over 850 pages) I did greatly enjoy reading it. The author is more of a narrator then an impartial observer. He readily makes comments throughout the book that makes you feel like you are sitting by a fire listening to him relay the story. It was definitely a different approach then most I have read and I greatly enjoyed it. The story was exquisite. It is about a bastard, Tom, who was abandoned by his mother to be raised by a very benevolent man. Although I did not readily agree with some of the lessons at the end of the book (how birth makes more of a difference on who the boy is, not just his character) I still enjoyed it and the ending did bring a tear to my cheek. I thought that how the author kept making Tom's situation worse and worse that there was no way to bring him back in a believable manner, but it worked out and rather well at that. I definitely enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone with a few months to read it.


The book can be found on the Sybervision, Observer and My Book lists

No comments: