Thursday, September 22, 2005

The 100 Greatest Books - Book Review #2

Note - This review was originally published on my other site "The Geology P.A.G.E." but due to the content I have moved it here and backdated the post.


Ok I have just finished another book on the list so I can give 3 more updates. Just remember I am not a professional book analyst, this is just my personal opinion:

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

Again another quick read like The Call of the Wild but a completely different feel. This is science fiction back when evolution was just beginning to get a foot hold. There is a lot of evolution in this book so if you are anti-evolution, don't bother with the book, it will just make you mad. Otherwise this is a great book, its kind of slow at first but it draws you in to what is going on quite quickly. He does an amazing job of taking his modern day society and projecting what might happen with the human race several hundred thousand years in the future, then to the planet itself towards the end of the earth. It will be interesting now to go back and watch the movie again to see if it really has as much geology and evolution as the book did.

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

This is the first book I read since I started my book list about 2 and a half years ago. This is a cool book because it takes place during the time of Robin Hood and has several of the same characters in it as well. There are lots of knightly things going on also like jousts and saving a damsel in distress. Its been a while so I'm not sure of the intricacies of the book. But I do know it was a bit hard to get into at first but eventually I got really interested when I got used to the writing style.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

With all the hype that this book gets you would assume it to be longer but no it only took me 2 days to read as well. This book is great though, it really deserves the hype it gets. Pretty much it is a book about a guy with a god complex and then he has to deal with what he has done when he tries to run away from it. So again its a guy who makes a monster then has to deal with it when its loose. And no the movies usually portray the monster as a grunting beast where actually he learns to read and write rather articulately. Anyway this book is well written and easy to read and since I don't want to spoil anything that is pretty much all I am going to say.

No comments: