Tuesday, August 1, 2000

The 306 Greatest Books #16 - A Farewell To Arms

I am going back and posting all of my previous book reviews so that they are listed on my site in chronological order. The reviews are dated for the time when I read the book, hence the reason many of them will be listed for times before this website existed. 

The next up on my reading of the 306 greatest books is A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. This book can be found on the Sybervision Book List. 




For Whom the Bell Tolls got me really interested in Hemingway and since I had several of Hemingway's books from my grandfather's collection I decided to move on to the next one, A Farewell to Arms. This one did not strike me as strongly as the first book and to be honest, I barely recall the plot after all these years. As is Hemingway's frequent MO, the story takes place during World War I, however this time we are on the Italian front. Our main character is Frederic Henry, an American ambulance driver who falls in love with an English nurse. As the war evolves, so does their love. This novel is a more "romantic" take on war but still continues the tragedy that is ever present and how war eventually takes everything from everyone. It is definitely a good novel but also a sad novel. 

No comments: