Sunday, May 1, 1994

The 306 Greatest Books #1: Of Mice and Men

I am going back and posting all of my previous book reviews so that they are listed on my site in chronological order. The reviews are dated for the time when I read the book, hence the reason many of them will be listed for times before this website existed. 

The first up on my reading of the 306 greatest books is Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. This book can be found on the Sybervision and BBC Book Lists. 




Of Mice and Men is often listed as a book everyone is "forced" to read in high school, however this book turned out to actually be one of my favorites. I enjoyed it when I had read it back in the day, but I must try and reread it with a more mature mind. The story is about two companions. One of which would be considered to have a learning disability, Lennie, while the other individual, George, is the man that takes care of him and tries to make sure he doesn't get into trouble. Which doesn't always work out the way that he hopes. The plot follows the hard times of the great depression with these men as farmhands and how their relationship is a rare thing. Definitely an emotional read and one I hope to get back to someday. 

No comments: